Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sad Anniversary

Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade decision that overturned the abortion laws in all fifty states, making the killing of unborn human beings legal any time during pregnancy for any reason whatsoever. A day that will truly live in infamy.

Here is part of what I prayed as I led our congregation in prayer at both services this last Sunday:

"Heavenly Father, we come to You this morning through Jesus Christ, who is our Lord, our Savior, and our Mediator. We praise You because You're the Creator of all things - including each one of us.

In Psalm 139, You inspired David to write, "For You formed my inward parts; You knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well. my frame was not hidden from You, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in Your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them."

Lord, You've created each of us in a fearful and wonderful way. You've made us in Your image and likeness, and because of that every human being - from the moment of conception to their very last breath - has dignity and value and worth. When that life is destroyed, Father, it's an insult to You - a slap in Your face. We're saying that someone You have fearfully and wonderfully made is worthless in our eyes. Life is precious because You've given it to us as a gift. May we always treat it that way.

Lord, I pray that we would repent of abortion, abuse, euthanasia, callous hearts and apathy. may we repent individually, as a church, and as a nation. "Search us, O God, and know our hearts. See if there be any wicked way in us and lead us in the way everlasting."

Father, we know that there are some of our brothers and sisters who've been involved in these things. Forgive them, restore them, and comfort them. And we ask that You would forgive those of us who haven't always been gracious and haven't always stood for the truth. Show us, Lord, how we can be loving and compassionate and gentle and kind, while at the same time be holy and just and righteous. I pray that we would balance grace and truth. Lord, may we glorify You in all things, including the sanctity of life.

In the Name of the One who is life, Jesus Chirst, Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home