Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Enough Already!

I've seen and read enough stories on June 6th, 2006 (6-6-06) that my hair hurts! There is absolutely no theological significance to this day. It has meaning in that God has given it to us and we should glorify Him in it, but it's no different than any other day.

So why have there been so many stories on it? The number "666" has real fascination for some people - including journalists - because it's mentioned in the book of Revelation. But where did the idea that some disaster would happen today come from? Where did the idea come from that the world would end today come from? I'm not aware of any "prophecy teacher" in the evangelical world who has ever made such a claim. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard it.

I'll be glad when 12:01 AM tomorrow morning comes (June 7th, 2006) when the stories will stop and my hair stops hurting.

By the way, there are all sorts of interpretations of precisely what "666" refers to. It doesn't have anything to do with phone numbers that begin with three sixes, or bar codes, or Social Security numbers, or even license plates that begin with "666." And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with a specific day of the year.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home